20 Things I Should Have Known at 20

+Julien Smith is an amazing writer and an even more profound thinker. My favorites:

5) Don't waste time being shy (I'm painfully shy in person / crowds)
8) Find people that are cooler than you and hang out with them too (going back to my shyness thing, I'm too worried about rejection)
18) Choose something huge to do (ties into 18 for me)
19) Get known for one thing (I'm still working on that)

#blog

Embedded Link

20 Things I Should Have Known at 20
1. The world is trying to keep you stupid. From bank fees to interest rates to miracle diets, people who are not educated are easier to get money from and easier to lead. Educate yourself as much as p…

Google+: Reshared 198 times
Google+: View post on Google+

Comments

1. says

While I realize that you have 'older' people on your list as an information source, as a parent of a 20 and 16 yo I would recommend that you move this up or create a line item for LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS. I'm not saying that as a bitchy parent of kids that don't listen (well, they don't but that's another story) but as an older person who's a parent. We TRY really hard to impart knowledge to children and young people so they don't repeat our mistakes and to make their lives easier.

I now feel really old..

and get off my lawn!

2. says

A great read, +Lynette Young. Thank you for sharing. My faves are 4,18, and 19. I think they are my faves because they are challenging me to take these things to the next level. I always attempt to outdo myself, and these resonated with my core.

"4. Connect with everyone, all the time. Be genuine about it. Learn to find something you like in each person, and then speak to that thing."

"18. Choose something huge to do, as well as allowing the waves of opportunity to help you along. If you don’t set goals, some stuff may happen, but if you do choose, lots more will."

19. Get known for one thing.

3. says

That older people will, unrequested, burden you with the knowledge of their experience. Your experience is and will always be different. Go your own way. That's what I wish I knew.

Being 20 is not about learning from other people. Being 20 is about knowing or not knowing what books to read, what knowledge to gain in order to be successful.

Being 20 is also about finding mentors that don't suck. Most successful people are wholly unqualified to be good coaches. There are many that pose as mentors that are trying to rip you off.

Lastly, many older people sabotage you under the guise of teaching you "life lessons".. after all, they went thru it so why shouldn't you?

4. Avalon Perdriel-Arons says

#14 & 15… I don't get lots of sleep, and though I'm young (13) I don't exercise much. I'm actually pretty skinny, but not very fit… I will take this advice to heart!

5. says

I disagree with 3, 6 and 19. Also the 8 just doesn't fare with me well because I`m introvert. Otherwise, I`m myself 24 now and I knew that stuff back when I was 16. Didn't help me much or at least I still don't feel like it had helped me. Probably because for every one thing you know, there is another one you don't.

6. Miracle Angel says

OMG i luv tha EVANSCENCE she sings my immortal i luv tht song go to youtube and check tht out

7. says

I agree and disagree to a certain point. While you might think its a burden wouldn't you like to be aware of things that could quite frankly, just screw you up? Example, did someone teach you to balance a checkbook or the need to pay your bills? Those are the things I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone

8. says

Well, it is not your fault, we are all growing and this is part of life, the problem is you need to think there is no limit to learning.There is a lot everyone should know for their age group, but some know and some don't know.I hope this at least helps:)

9. says

Perhaps the most important is: Just have fun and be a good person. For God's sake, you're only 20. Stop acting like the world will end tomorrow.

10. says

Shyness is my only obstacle. But it's not as bad as when I was a kid. Once I know someone, people wish I shut up xD But I also played recitals on stage so that helped. Everything else, I seem to do fine with.

11. Francesca Azad Nelson says

I agreed because to have logic is to have knowledge and knowledge is wisdom. And having that makes all the difference in the world.

12. Yasmine Saud says

#8 it just wrong be yourself dont depend on someone else what if they let u down

13. Amber House says

Don't agree with #8….or maybe thats just because I'm not cool…bummer

14. Yasmine Saud says

I am 10 so I don't know about 20 but again I don't agree with 8 and I don't get teased at school or anything like and if I do I move on I don't hang on to someone "cool"

15. says

I'm past this era in life but most things on this list I have tried to articulate to my younger brother but he doesn't listen. Maybe he will read a link to this and listen to someone other than myself.

16. says

As a parent of one child almost 20 and one who will be there in a few years, this is such sound advice. Many we have tried to teach, some have not stressed enough. Thanks for sharing.

17. says

I like #13, Learn to program. What, this person did not know that at age 20? Uhhh, yeah how the eff old ARE you and how long did it take to have this brilliant insight? Hey, even if this person is so old that computers were not around then that means they can't regret not learning any programming.
    Similarly
    3. Read as much as you can Like they did not know by the 2nd year or so of college, if they were there, that reading is important? They did not learn that in effing grade school?
    How about #1 If you are an idiot don't confirm it to everyone by posting helpful lists confirming that to the entire world.

18. says

I like #4 and #7, I have found that sitting with older people and listening to their experiences gives one great insight. When I served an administrator of a hospital once we had a patient who was an engineer all his life, I am also an engineer and this man ran circles around me !! I used to go home shower, eat and go back to his room and sit for hours just sharing with him. he taught me a lot.

19. says

I think the point of number 8 isn't to make you someone you're not, or to have you brown nose the archetypal cool kids. As someone who had dealt with shyness my entire life, funding someone who is more social can classify them as one of the cool kids. And it doesn't say to copy what they do if its not you; but if you relate to being laid back or accepting like the people in the group are, you're doing something different that's still you. Thanks +Lynette Young for sharing this article. I liked 15, I'm trying to learn but often feel out of my element haha

20. says

So true and to john nash im 24 married and we have a baby now wish I had listened to my parents and understand now what they were talking about when they said LIFE no joke that it right

21. says

21 Fix yourself first, which negates all of ridiculous #20: you are someone and there is no person who is not "broken" whatever that means.